Many people believe that international trips will create a massive dent in your pocket. But the fact is, there are many destinations around the world where Indians can travel within the budget. Here is the list of the cheapest countries where you can visit from India.
The maximum budget I have considered here is 1 lakh rupees for a couple. In reality, you can manage all the expenses within 80k for most of the places I have listed below. The real budget relies on how much you spend on food, beverages, shopping, etc.
Few tips to save money on International travel
- Do not book a package from a travel agency. Obviously, your budget will increase if you do so. Explore the places on your own.
- Plan to go one month before or a few weeks after the peak season. This way, you can save a few bucks from your pocket.
- Try local foods and look for local transportation options.
- Do not buy other country sim cards from India. You can get cheaper sim cards from local shops with one-week validity. Activating international roaming also cost you more.
- Do not exchange currency from Airports. You will drop some money in the conversion.
Vietnam is one of the most beautiful budget-friendly destinations in southeast Asia, which is surrounded by beaches, Buddhist temples, and green paddy fields.
Places to visit in Vietnam: Hanoi, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta, Ha Long Bay, Nha Trang, Sapa are the must-see places in Vietnam. Don’t miss the local market tours, Island tours, Yacht cruises, and to try some of the best local foods out there.
Vietnam Visa Cost for Indians: You need to get the approval letter from the Vietnam Embassy and provide it upon arrival to get a visa on arrival. You can contact online agencies to get the approval letter. They will charge you around 6$. Upon arrival, you need to pay a stamping fee of 25$. Total, it will cost you around 30 usd.
Flight Cost from India to Vietnam: Roundtrip ticket to Vietnam will cost you about 18k per adult on average.
Hotel Stay: You can get a decent hotel for around 2k per night.
The overall cost for five nights and six days: 1 lakh for a couple which includes everything.
Currency value: 1 Rupee = 335 Vietnamese Dong
Best time to visit Vietnam: Spring (February to April) and Autumn (August to October) is the best time to visit Vietnam.
The number of tourists visiting Vietnam has been increasing every year, as per wiki. We can see, there are around 16 lakh visitors in the year 2018!
Thailand is another budget-friendly travel destination, where a lot of Indians visit every year.
Places to Visit in Thailand: Thailand is full of beaches and Islands, and it is famous for Thai local food. The must-see places in Thailand are Krabi (full of beaches and Islands), Pattaya (famous for its nightlife and beautiful islands), Bangkok (famous for Buddhist temples) and Phuket.
You can also check our Thailand guide with a complete list of places to visit in Thailand here.
Thailand Visa cost for Indians: Visa on arrival will cost you around 200 thb for Indians. Currently, the Thai government has declared free visa on arrival for 21 countries including India and China till October 31st, 2019. You can get the complete Thailand visa process here.
Flight cost from India to Thailand: The round trip ticket to Bangkok will just cost you around 10k.
Hotel Stay: You can get a decent hotel for around 1500 to 2k per night.
The overall cost for five nights and six days: Your total expense would be within 80k for two people.
Currency value: 2 Rupee = 1 thb (approximately)
When to visit: The best time to visit is between November to April.
Cambodia is located between Thailand and Vietnam. Cambodia is famous for divine temples (Hindu and Buddhist temples) and its splendid architecture. It’s another budget-friendly Asian country that you should visit. Cambodia is the haven for budget travelers.
Places to visit: The important places to visit in Cambodia are the World famous Angkor Wat temple, Royal Palace in the capital city Phnom Penh, Otres beach, Kampot, historical museums, killing fields, Cultural Visits, Religious Tours, and Recreational & Leisure Tours.
Cambodia Visa cost for Indians: It will cost you around 20$ for visa on arrival and 30$ for getting an evisa.
Flight cost from India to Cambodia: It will cost you around 16k for a round trip.
Hotel Stay: You can get a decent hotel for around 2k per night.
The overall cost for 5 days: You can very well make the whole trip within a Lakh, including food and transportation.
Currency value: 1 Cambodian Riel = 58 inr
Best time to visit Cambodia: The best time to visit Cambodia is between November to March.
4. Sri lanka
Sri Lanka is another economical place which is not to be missed. It’s a Buddhist nation full of beaches and temples.
Places to visit in Sri Lanka:
The main places to visit in Sri Lanka are Colombo, Kandy, and Dambulla.
In Colombo, the significant places to visit are Galle face, the green beach, Colombo harbor, the red mosque, the Dutch museum(a lot of museums are there) and Dehiwala Zoo.
In Kandy, you can see the famous Buddha statue and the Royal botanical garden, Dambulla royal cave in Dambulla and Galle beach in Galle is also known for its serenity.
Sri Lankan Visa cost for Indians: The visa will cost you around 1500 INR. You have to apply for the visa online, get the approved letter, and produce it during immigration to get on arrival visa.
Flight ticket cost from India to Sri Lanka: You can get cheaper flights from Chennai which costs around Rs.3500 for one way and around 8k for a round trip.
The overall cost for five days: You can get a decent hotel for around 2k per night. Travel and food may cost you around 2000 INR per day for two people. Overall, you can finish the trip very well under 80k to 1 lakh rupees for a couple.
Currency value: 1 Sri Lankan rupee = 2.5 inr.
Best time to visit Sri Lanka: The best time to visit Sri Lanka is between December to April.
Transportation: Buses and trains are available, and they are cheap. You can use autos when local transport is not available. You can also get a train from Colombo to Kandy if you want to save a few bucks. You can use the train to cover most of the long-distance travel during the trip.
Tip: Always carry local currency everywhere, because credit card acceptance is less in Sri Lanka when compared with other countries. In many places, you can convert Indian currency. Even in jewelry shops, you can exchange Indian money.
Laos is yet another attractive, inexpensive travel destination. Loas is a southeast Asian country where its border is distributed between Thailand and Vietnam.
Places to visit in Laos:
- In Vientiane – The must visit places are Buddha park, Pha That Luang temple, and many more temples for you to visit.
- Luang Prabang – You must visit the most beautiful Kuang Si waterfalls in Luang Prabang, try fascinating street foods, and explore the night market. Keep note that you must use your bargaining skills to get good deals in the night market.
- Nong khiaw – Muang Ngoy, you can reach this place only by boat. You also notice the rice fields all around in Muang Ngoy.
Visa cost for Loas for Indians: Approximately costs between 30 to 40$
Flight ticket cost from India: It will cost you around 20k for a round trip.
The overall cost for five days: You can manage all expenses within 80k rupees for a couple.
Transportation: You can use local transports such as buses and boats. You can rent scooters as well.
Food cost: Food will cost you around 200 – 300 rupees per meal.
Currency value: 1 Laotian Kip = 125inr
Hotel stay: You can get decent hotels for 1500 to 2500 INR for two adults.
Best time to visit Laos: The best time to visit Laos is between October to April.
Myanmar is our neighboring country and also a budget travel destination, which is renowned for its Buddhist shrines and beaches.
Places to visit:
- Yangon, the capital city: The famous places to visit in Yangon are the Big Buddha statue, Shwedagon Pagoda and the food market. Don’t miss to visit the Dragon restaurant. You also have beautiful beaches in Myanmar.
- Bagan: There are a lot of temples to visit in Bagan. You must visit the famous Inle lake. Don’t miss to try the air balloon ride in Bagan, If you are an adventure enthusiast.
Myanmar Visa cost for Indians: visa on arrival fee costs around 50$
Flight ticket cost from India to Myanmar: Cheapest round trip flights are available from Kolkata for around 12k.
The overall cost for five days: You can manage everything very well under 80 k for a couple.
Currency value: 1 inr= 21 Myanmar Kyat
Best time to visit Myanmar: The best time to visit Myanmar is between November to March.
Transportation: You can try local transportation like taxis, buses and also you can rent a scooter.
Tip: Don’t forget to bargain in Myanmar. Also, ensure to carry enough cash as credit cards are not accepted in most of the places. We also recommend you to try local cuisines, which would be a treat to your taste buds.
Most of us forgot about this beautiful country – Nepal, our adjoining neighbor. More than 80% of the people are Hindus. You can travel to Nepal by road as well. The world famous Mount Everest is also located in the Nepal -Tibet border.
Places to visit in Nepal:
- Kathmandu – Kathmandu is the capital city of Nepal. The famous places to visit in Kathmandu are Pashupatinath temple, Swyambhunath temple, Durbar square, and Ratna park.
- You can spend one full day in Kathmandu.
- Pokhra – The significant places to visit in Pokhara are Fewa lake, Davis falls, World Peace pakoda.
- Sarangot – If you fancy adventure, you can try paragliding in Sarangot. You can also enjoy trekking.
Flight ticket cost from India to Nepal: The roundtrip flight ticket will cost you around 12k from Delhi.
Nepal Visa cost for Indians: Visa is not required for Indians. You need to provide any government identity proof at the time of entry.
Overall Expense: You can manage everything under 70k for a couple.
Currency value: 1 INR= 1.6 Nepalese Rupia
Best time to visit Nepal: October to April is the best time to visit Nepal.
Bhutan is another neighborhood country with which we are sharing our border(adjacent to West Bengal). Bhutan is similar to Nepal. The only exception is, Bhutan is a Buddhist nation.
Places to visit in Bhutan:
- Paro -The main places to visit in Paro are the Tiger nest, Rinpung Dzong and, Bhutan National museum.
- Thimphu, the capital city – The main places to visit in Thimphu are Tashichho Dzong, Folk heritage museum, Bhutan textile museum, Motithang takin preserve, and Buddhist point (Buddha statue).
- Punakha – Punakha Dzong, Punakha suspension bridge and, Chimi lhakhang temple.
Activities: You must try the breathtaking white water rafting in Punakha.
Currency value: 1 inr = 1 Bhutan Ngultrum
Bhutan Visa cost for Indians: No visa required. You just need to show your Indian government id card during immigration.
Hotel stays: You can find decent hotels around 3000 rupees.
Food and Transportation: Costs around 1500 rupees per person per day.
Flight ticket cost from India to Bhutan: You can get flights to Bhutan from Kolkata around 10k (Bhutan airlines). You can also reach Bhutan by road (near to West Bengal).
Overall cost: You can manage everything under 50 to 60 k for a couple.
Best time to visit Bhutan: The best time to visit Bhutan is between February to May.
Indonesia is another beautiful southeast Asian country which is famous for its temples and beaches. The prominent tourist spot in Indonesia is Bali, which still has an active volcano in it which hit recently in October 2018.
Places to visit in Indonesia:
- Bali – Bali has numerous temples which include Tanah Lot temple which is located on a rock in the middle of the sea, Uluwatu temple, and last break-in temple. Along with that, you have Ubad monkey forest, Bromo National park, which has an ancient volcano to look at in Bali.
- Jakarta – The capital city of Indonesia, the main places to visit are Istiqlal mosque, Thousand Islands, National Museum, and central park.
- Lambok – Lambok is a similar to Bali, but with lesser crowd. Lambok also has great beaches and active volcanoes.
Indonesian Visa cost for Indians: Visa is free for Indians
Flight cost from India to Indonesia: The round trip ticket will cost you around 17k (air Asia) from Kolkata. One thing to be noted is there are only a few direct flights available. Most of them have one stop.
Accommodation: You can find a good hotel stay for rupees 3000 per day for two adults.
The overall cost for five days: You can cover everything within 80k for two people.
Currency value: 1 inr = 205 Indonesian Rupiah ( you can feel rich here!)
Best time to visit Indonesia: The best time to visit Indonesia is between May to October.
Note: The Indian currency value is higher in Indonesia!
10. Hong Kong
Hong Kong is another nearby country where you must go. If you can’t go to Disney land in the USA, then you must go to Hong Kong to enjoy the beauty of Disney Land.
Places to visit in Hong Kong:
- Victoria peak where you will get a high sky view. The perfect time to visit this place is in the evening.
- Star ferry, Tian tan buddha in Lantau Island
- Ocean Park (theme park)
- Wong Tan Sin temple, Nan Lian garden, Stanley Island, and finally, the world famous ‘Disney Land.’ You must go to Disney land if you are going to Hong Kong.
You can go on hiking in Dragon’s back.
You can also enjoy street shopping in the Mangkok market.
Hong Kong Visa cost for Indians: Indians can get the visa free of cost. You must complete the pre-arrival registration form which is free of cost, take a print out of it and provide it during the arrival. In some cases, you won’t be able to complete the registration successfully; in such cases, you must visit the immigration department and get an entry visa.
Flight cost from India to Hong Kong: The round trip will cost you around 23k from India.
Transportation: You can buy a tourist Octopus card, which is accepted all over in Hong Kong for transportation.
Hotel stays: You can find decent hotels for around 4k for a night for two people.
The overall cost for five days: You can finish everything under 1 lakh rupees.
Currency value: 8.8 INR = 1 Hong Kong dollars
Best time to visitHong kong: The best time is between March and April, And between October to November.
The Philippines is another beautiful budget travel Southeast Asian country, which is surrounded by beautiful beaches and islands.
Places to visit in the Philippines:
- Palawan – beautiful island surrounded by blue water.
- Tubbataha natural park
- Legazpi City
- Chocolate hills – an amazing place with a group of small mountains structures
- Boracay island – You can go on Cliff diving here
- Banaue rice terraces – terrace-shaped cultivation
- White beach in Puerto Galera
Currency value: 1.3 inr= 1 Philippine Piso
Flight cost from India to Philippines: The roundtrip ticket will cost you around 18k per adult from Chennai
Philippines Visa charges for Indians: Indians can get a free visa to the Philippines for a stay up to 3 weeks
Hotel Stay: You can get decent hotels for around 2 to 3k per night for two adults.
Transportation: You can use local buses and taxis where ever possible. Also, you can rent a scooter or bicycle to roam around.
The overall cost for five nights: You can complete all expense within 80k for two adults.
Best time to visit Philippines: The best time to visit Philippines is from December to March.
Egypt is a famous Arab country which is renowned for its ancient monuments, the history it holds, and the world-famous Pyramids. You can complete the Egypt trip in a budget if you plan well in advance.
Places to visit in Egypt:
- The must visit places includes the red sea coast, the Nile river, and the ancient Egypt pyramids.
- Cairo – the capital city, Aswan, Giza, Alexandria, Luxor
- Sharm el-Sheikh – It is a beach resort. It is a fantastic place for snorkeling. Try it!
- Don’t miss to have a glimpse at the white desert.
Visa cost: Single entry visa for 14 days costs around 1900 INR; You can apply for the visa on embassy on Delhi; You can apply via agents also.
Flight cost: The round trip will cost around 23k.
Hotel stays: You will get decent hotels in Cairo for about 3000 INR per night for two adults.
The overall cost for five days: You can complete everything around 80k
Currency value: 4 inr = 1 Egyptian pound
Best time to visit Egypt: The best time to visit Egypt is between October to April.
Qatar is a popular Arab country which has increased tourism in recent years. Qatar has many tourist attractions like Mosques, Museums, and skyscraper buildings along with must-do activity like a desert safari.
Places to visit in Qatar:
- The aspire park also called as Doha torch, Doha city center,
- The state grand mosque, The Museum of Islamic arts,
- Qatari cultural village (has a beautiful golden mosque in it)
- The Pearl – This is the expensive residential area, built on an artificial island with houses surrounding the water. It looks similar to Venice!
- Souq Wakif – showcases the ancient Qatari lifestyle
- The Desert Safari – The must-do activity in Qatar. You will enjoy the Dune bashing ride in the desert sands ( where the sand meets the sea) along with Barbeque dinner.
Qatar Visa charges for Indians: Free visa for 30 days period
Flight cost from India to Qatar: 14 – 15k for a round trip
The overall cost: The overall expenses for five days can be covered within 1 lakh for a couple.
Currency value: 1 Qatari Rial = 19 inr
Best time to visit Qatar: The best time to visit Qatar is from November to April. You should avoid visiting Qatar between June to September.
Oman officially called as Sultanate of Oman is another Arab country, where you can consider touring in a budget. Oman shares its land borders between UAE, Saudi, and Yamen.
Places to visit in Oman:
- Wadi Sahab – Tourists can swim in the freshwater pool.
- You can also plan a full day trip to Musandam.
- Nizwa fort – very popular and oldest monument in Omen.
- Sultan Qaboos Grand mosque – It is the most famous mosque in Oman.
- Al Alam Royal palace – It is the most beautiful palace. You can take photos from the gate as visitors are not allowed inside.
- Jebel Shams – This is the highest mountain in the country which you should visit!
- Desert Safari in Oman Wahiba Sands is a must do activity in Oman.
Flight ticket from India to Oman: The round trip ticket will cost you around 20k per adult from India.
Oman Visa charges for Indians: The tourist visa to Oman will cost you around 900 inr.
Hotel stays: You can find a decent stay in Muscat, Oman for around 3000 to 4000 rupees.
Food: It will cost you around 500 rupees per meal for a person.
Currency value: 1 Omani Rial = 180 INR
Overall Cost: You can complete everything under 1 lakh rupees for two adults.
Note: Even though the currency exchange rate is enormous, you can manage the trip in a budget if you plan well!
Dubai is one of the fascinating countries in the world. Dubai will be a dream location for every backpacker. Dubai is famous for its skyscraper buildings, the world tallest building Burj Khalifa, ancient museums, and beautiful beaches.
Places to visit in Dubai
- The Burj Khalifa – world’s tallest building
- The Burj Al Arab – claimed to be the only seven-star hotel in the world
- Miracle Garden – a beautiful flower garden
- Desert Safari – A must do activity in Dubai, which includes dune bashing, belly dancing along with barbeque dinner.
- The beautiful Palm Island
- Global village – a combination of 90+ countries shopping destination in one place.
- Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi
You can also check the complete list of places and attractions to visit in Dubai here.
Flight ticket cost from India to Dubai: The round trip to Dubai will cost you around 12 – 13k per adult from India.
Uae Visa cost for Indians: Visa will cost around 5500 inr per adult. You can check the easiest Dubai visa process forIndians here.
Food cost: You can get a meal for as low as 7 to 10 AED in Indian restaurants.
Transportation: You can get a tourist Nol card for using local transportation such as metro, bus, and tram. You can also use local RTA taxies, which also comes at an average price.
Overall cost: You can complete the tour very well within 80k to 1 lakh rupees for a couple.
Currency value: 20 inr= 1 aed
Kazhakstan is a country where most of its land falls under Asia, and some part of its land falls under Europe. It is one of the finest places to visit in a budget forIndian travelers. Most of the people are following Islam, so basically it is an Islamic country.
Places to visit in Kazhakstan
- Almaty tower, Almaty – the old capital of Kazhakstan
- Kok Tobe Hill – Watching the sunset here is a great thing to do
- Central area Mecca – It is a nice place to see
- Presidential Park
- Kolsai lakes
- Charyn Canyon
- Duman Entertainment center
- The central state of museum
- Ascension Cathedral
Flight ticket from India to Kazhakstan: The round trip to Kazhakstan from India will cost you around 20 – 24k.
Kazhakstan Visa cost for Indians: Indians can get a free transit visa to Kazhakstan for three days. If you want to stay for five days, you can apply for a five-day transit visa (from the Embassy) for 20 USD. If you’re going to stay more than that, you can apply for a tourist visa from the Embassy for 60 USD.
Food cost: You would love the food here if you are a non-vegetarian. Food cost is cheap. You can get a meal for around 300 rupees. A crazy thing about food in Kazhakstan is, they eat horse meat!
Transportation: You can find Uber throughout the city. You also get local cabs, where you have to bargain the price!
Hotel Stay: You can find a decent stay for 2000 to 3000 rupees per night for two adults.
Overall cost: You can manage all expenses very well within 80k for a couple.
Currency value: 1 INR = 5.5 Kazakhstani Tenge
Is Kazhakstan safe for tourists?
Kazhakstan is absolutely safe. There are no security issues at all. The policemen are friendly to the tourists. The only problem is the language. Kazak and Russian are the two official languages in Kazhakstan. English is not widely spoken, but still, you can manage.
Touring Europe is one of the costliest things to do for Indians because of the currency value and high flight tickets. But below are the few countries in Europe, where Indians can travel in a budget.
Note: Touring multiple European countries at single shot will cost you less when compared to touring a single country. You will save huge on flight tickets.
Turkey is one of the European countries (though Istanbul connects Asia and Europe continents) where Indians can travel on a budget when compared to other European countries. Istanbul is the most prominent city which attracts tourists to the country.
Places to visit in Turkey:
- Istanbul – Istanbul is a must visit place in Turkey. It is one of the largest city in Turkey, and this city connects two continents, Asia and Europe. The famous places to visit in Istanbul are a Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia Museum, Bosphorus Strait and many more museums and mosques are there to visit.
- Cappadocia – You can enjoy the hot air balloon ride here
- Bodrum – Beautiful beaches with blue water and Bodrum castle is a must see one in Bodrum.
- Edirne – Famous for old imperial buildings and mosques
- Pamukkale – White terraces landscape structure.
Turkish Visa cost for Indians: The tourist visa will cost you around 4000 inr
Currency value: 12 INR = 1 Turkish lira
Flight ticket from India to Turkey: The round trip ticket to Istanbul from India will cost you around 23k per person.
Hotel stays: You can get a decent hotel in Istanbul for about 2 – 3k for two adults.
Food: You can get Shawarma for 120 rupees. You must try the Turkish ice cream and also the local cuisine. You can get a Turkish meal for around 400 rupees.
Overall cost: You can cover all the expenses under 1 lakh rupees.
18. Budapest, Hungary
Hungary is located in central Europe, where the currency value of Indian rupee is higher than the Hungarian currency, and this is one of the European countries where Indians can travel in a budget.
Places to visit in Hungary:
- Budapest city park – The largest park
- Budapest Chain Bridge – The best time to visit is at night
- Budapest Hungarian Parliament Building, Buda Castle
- Szechenyi Thermal bath
- Shoes on the Danube Bank, Gresham Palace
- Hungarian state opera house, Matthias Church
Visa cost for Hungary for Indians: As an Indian traveler, you need to get a Schengen tourist visa to enter Hungary. You can get a Schengen tourist visa for 6000 rupees.
Currency value: 1 inr = 4 Hungarian Forint
Flight cost from India to Hungary: You can get a roundtrip ticket to Hungary for about 32k.
Hotel Stay: You can get a decent hotel in Istanbul for about 2 – 3k for two adults for a night.
Food cost: You can get a meal for 200 – 300 inr (per meal per person).
Transportation: You can use local transport such as buses, train, trams, and taxis.
Overall cost: You can finish all expenses within 1 lakh for a couple.
Note: Indian money value is higher in Hungary.
I will update this list every year. Please do comment if you like this post!