Nol Card is an e-ticketing card that you can use for different transport modes in Dubai. The public transport in Dubai includes the Dubai Metro, Dubai Tram, bus, and water bus. You can travel anywhere with a single tap. You can use the Nol card for parking as well. Dubai’s RTA (Road Transport Authority) has 7 zones in total. The price for your route depends on the number of zones you cross during the trip.
Points to know:
- Passengers cannot use cash to travel on Metros or buses.
- You have to maintain a balance of 7.50 AED minimum to make a trip. If the balance is lesser than 7.5 AED, you won’t be able to allowed to enter the gates of the metro.
- You would need to tap the Nol card at the gates of the metro or in the entrance for buses or tram while entering and exiting. The portal will automatically calculate the cost of your trip/journey based on the number of zones you have passed.
- Never forget to tap the card as there would be severe penalties.
- Children up to age five can travel free.
Types of Nol Card:
There are around four essential types of Nol Card available for tourists. Silver card, Gold card, and Red card. Among these, the silver and the red cards are optimal for the travelers.
1. Silver Card
The cost of this card is 25 AED. It will come with a preloaded amount of 19 AED. If you are touring Dubai and going to stay there for more than five days, we strongly recommend getting this card.
- This card is valid on all modes of transport
- The silver Nol card is valid for five years
- You can also get weekly pass along with Silver Nol card for 110 AED.
2. Gold Card
The Gold card is equivalent to the Silver card. The cost of this card is 25 AED, and it comes with 19 AED value. The exception is, this card gives access to Metro’s Gold Class cabin, and for each trip, the amount debited from the card is a bit more than the Silver Nol card.
- Access to Gold Class Metro seats
- This card is valid on all modes of transport
- Validity for five years
3. Red card
A red card is mainly for occasional travelers. It is a paper-based ticket, unlike other nol cards. The cost of this card is 2 AED, and you can load the exact amount for the trip. You can get this card on any ticket vending machine.
- Low ticket price
- Can be purchased from any ticket vending machine at any time
- This can be loaded up to a maximum of 10 Single Trips.
- Currently, this ticket can only be used in one mode of transport at a time.
4. Blue Nol Card
The blue Nol card is ideal only for the residents and not for the tourists, as this card comes with a cost of 110 AED
Which Nol Card is best for tourists?
For tourists, we recommend buying a Silver Nol card for best value and ease of use.
The silver card comes with credit and can be used for five years. If you are a regular traveler to Dubai, then this one is for you. Otherwise, buy a red one.
Where can I get the Nol Card?
- You can purchase Nol Cards from Ticket offices located in all Metro stations and some Bus stations.
- Silver Cards and Red Tickets can be purchased from some Ticket Vending Machines.
- You can also purchase Nol Silver Cards from RTA Customer Service Centres.
How to use the Nol Card?
You need to have a minimum balance of AED 7.50 on your card. Once you near the gates of Metro or the doors of the bus/ water bus, place your Nol Card on the card reader. You will hear a beep or look for the green light. Pass through the gate/entrance. You need to do the same during the exit as well.
Are these passes available for tourists?
Yes. You have passes for one day, seven days, 30 days, 90 days, and one year. However, visitors are eligible for one day and seven days pass only.
You can get the one day pass on the Red card for 20 AED. You can get the seven days passes on Silver or Gold Nol card for 110 AED. You can top up the Red ticket with up to five one-day passes. You need to get each pass on the day of travel, and it is valid until midnight of the day of purchase.
The remaining passes can only be purchased on a Blue Nol Card or a registered Silver or Gold Nol card. Blue cards can be purchased by the residents only.
Is Nol Card required for Buses?
All travelers need to purchase Nol cards before stepping on the bus. You need to scan this card at the start and end of the trip, to ensure you pay the correct fare. If you fail to scan your Nol card before exiting, you will be charged the full fare.
How to recharge Nol card online and how to check Nol card balance?
If you swipe your card after finishing your ride, your Nol card balance will be shown at the exit of the metro. You can also check the balance of the Nol card and recharge your nol card online from the official RTA website | 404.